Port Everglades Originally referred to as Lake Mabel and Bay Mabel Harbor, Port Everglade was officially established by the Florida State Legislature as a deep-water harbor in 1927. The name Port Everglades was appointed as a result of a name change contest that was organized by several local women’s clubs. Port Everglades was selected to represent the seaport as “The gateway to the rich agricultural area”. An official dedication ceremony [&hellip